ACCIONA Infrastructure Canada is looking to hire an Estimator during the bid phase of an LRT project in Ontario.
The Estimator will review project plans and specifications, perform site visits, and use evaluating methods to construct some of the industry’s most challenging projects. Using detailed construction analysis and historical costs, the estimator will prepare comprehensive cost estimates and supporting data [schedules, material and subcontract price comparisons etc.] for direct and indirect costs to accurately determine the cost of construction.
• Preparation of thorough, accurate and timely estimates.
• Assist in the development of written proposals for pursuits.
• Participate in the presentation and review of estimates.
• Undertake or manage material take-off and preparation of Quantity Bills.
• Build-up of direct and indirect costs.
• Prepare tender summary sheets and cash flows.
• Review and manage design deliverables from consultants.
• Source, liaise with and manage best value subcontractors and suppliers, collaborating with the Commercial Team.
• Ensure Subcontractors are in compliance with AIC operational and technical requirements.
• Ensure bid bond, insurance and other document requirements are met.
• Develop safe, efficient, cutting edge construction methods with our Engineering Department.
• Gather site and market information pertinent to bid preparation.
• Review estimates.
• Manage the request for quotations process and any special interest requirements.
• Accumulate, evaluate, and document historical cost data.
• Organize and prepare bid close documents.
• Ensure that all bid forms are completed and accurately prepared.
• Compile tender records, calculations, quotations and assumptions to comprehensively explain the structure of the bid.
• Research historical data (purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc.) and compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates.
• Prepare estimates of costs from first principles (materials, labor and equipment) for construction projects based on available bid documents.
• Follow established tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders.
• Establish and maintain tendering practices.
• Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, and subcontractors.
• Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors.
• Prepare construction schedules.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Working knowledge of contract language and legal requirements of contracts.
• Excellent technical, organizational, and planning skills.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with well developed communication and negotiation skills. Communication and strong interpersonal skills are requisite.
• A solid attention to detail and problem solving ability.
• The ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
• Ability to work on large project ($500+million) estimates, with proven time management skills.
• A strong work ethic to complete tasks in a high quality manner.
• Comprehensive familiarity and understanding of related computer applications.
• The ability to assist in determining bid strategies.
• General knowledge of estimating techniques, cost control and material pricing.
• Ability to calculate mathematical extensions, read and understand engineering drawings, purchase orders, contracts, cost coding systems, etc. is essential.
• Ability to assume responsibility and to interface and communicate effectively with others, have strong interpersonal skills and be self-motivated.
• Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives are prerequisites.
• Required to travel within Canada and elsewhere as directed.
• Position is part of an International Corporation working across Canada and positions/individuals are subject to possible relocation within Canada and elsewhere according to ACCIONA resource requirements.
• 5-10 years of progressive experience in field engineering, and as an Estimator on complex heavy civil transportation, technical structures, roadways, LRT, and other civil works is desired. Large project $300M+experience is a plus.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management.
• Competence in creating a complete bid price using construction database estimating software and expert use of MS Excel essential
• Use of CAD, digital take off programs and a strong Proficiency in MS Office packages an advantage.
• Experience in creating preliminary construction schedules.
• Experience in working in multi joint venture environment.
• Comfortable working in a disciplined and pressurized environment.
• Previous P3 project experience an advantage.
ACCIONA is one of the foremost Spanish business corporations, leader in the development and management of infrastructure, renewable energy, water and services. Listed on the selective Ibex-35 stock exchange index, it is a benchmark for the market.