We are an international company with a workforce of more than 38,500 top professionals, present in more than 40 countries across the five continents. Leaders in Innovation and Technological Development at the service of society, we’re looking for experts in designing a better planet who can go out there and promote sustainable development and find solutions to the biggest global challenges, including global warming, overpopulation and water scarcity.
We have successfully delivered large infrastructure projects across Canada since 2001. Our leadership and expertise span the entire value chain from research and development through construction, operation and maintenance of projects. Currently involved in some of Canada’s largest infrastructure projects, ACCIONA delivers solutions that contribute to the economic and social progress of the communities in which it operates. www.acciona.ca
Broadway Subway Project is a joint venture project represented by Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc./Ghella Canada Ltd.
The Health & Safety Manager position is a multifunctional position. The Health & Safety Manager will play an integral part of the Project Management Team. In addition to having health and safety qualifications the holder of this position must exhibit comprehension knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations and polices.
Under the direct reporting to the Project Director and functional reporting to the Corporate Director’s of Health & Safety, the Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for providing support to the management team, supervisors, foremen and workers. This position will provide leadership and coordination of the day-to-day health and safety requirements of the Project.
- Provide support to Project Management
- Responsible for managing, coordinating and overseeing the implementation of all Health & Safety (HS) programs and processes
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, and partner policies and continuous improvement in key identified measures and objectives
- Prepares and builds consensus annual plans for HS initiatives Plan/Budget/Control annual capital budget for Project HS to ensure flawless execution of the HS plan and adherence to all internal and external compliance standards
- Drives next-level thinking and continuous improvement in the HS function and Project programs/initiatives
- Provides HS expertise for the Project for all new projects tasks and change management activities
- Organizer and participator of Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Develops performance standards and methods of accomplishing those standards for HS team
- Develops, designs, and has responsibility for the implementation and follow-through of the local processes. Follows up on non-conformances and develops the systems to resolve them based on root cause analysis
- Has comprehensive knowledge of underground works, silica exposure control plans and confined spaces. Develops technical underground, silica exposure control and confined space plans
- Ensures development and maintains of Project Hazard & Risk assessments are conducted and follow-ups implemented to minimize or eliminate accidents, asset losses, security breaches and safety issues that might cause harm to one of the Project Staff, contractors, visitors, assets or reputation
- Ensures that appropriate talent is in place through training, mentoring, and succession planning and supports the development and learning capabilities of Project HS specialists
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends and current practices in Health and Safety to dissect data and reconfigure/re-plan approach to course correct to achieve zero safety incidents
- Review performance and key metrics in HS and facilitates the implementation of corrective and preventative actions where required
- Ensures training and coaching are taking place to drive a safety-perfect culture and to ensure safety and environmental standards and awareness are well understood throughout the plant organization
- Liaise with local safety regulatory body
- Monitor and follow up on modified/gradual workers in the field.
- Ensure Supervisors are verifying field staff training and competencies; consult Project management team and Corporate Director Health & Safety for compliance and action plan.
- Communicate, coach and assist the field staff to ensure that all safety expectations are understood and met.
- Participate in leading the certificate of recognition process.
- Regularly audit the work sites and implement safety improvements.
- Develop and implement safety training and education initiatives for the project, including site induction/orientation programs.
- Review subcontractors and supplier’s site specific health and safety management system and training meet the local regulatory requirements.
- Implement and maintain health and safety records for the all areas.
- Analyze and identify leading and lagging trends to assist in incident/injury prevention.
- Compile reports to update ongoing safety processes and address current issues.
- Act as the Site Safety Qualified Coordinator for the Prime Contractor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Above average analytical and organizational skills needed to complete reports and documentation.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated capacity to work both autonomously and within a team environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships in a large and complex network.
- Demonstrated good leadership, supervision, and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook are essential.
- Valid BC Driver’s license and a positive driving record.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act, WorkSafeBC regulations.
- Must be physically fit, prepared to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Exceptional communication, listening and problem solving skills.
- Exceptional accident investigation practices and interview skills.
- Previous experience in working with Union environments.
- Individuals may be required to travel within Canada and elsewhere as directed.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of Ministry of Transport & Infrastructure (MoTI) specifications
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate and/or Diploma.
- Holder of Construction Safety Officer (CSO) Certification
- Holder of Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- 10 years construction industry experience in leadership capacity
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.