ACCIONA Infrastructure Maintenance (AIM) is a newly Canadian established subsidiary division of Global ACCIONA Road Maintenance group. With the main focus on road seasonal maintenance and road, bridge infrastructure.
ACCIONA Infrastructure Maintenance Inc. is looking to hire a Health and Safety Supervisor.
The Health & Safety (HS) Supervisor position is a multifunctional position. The HS Supervisor will play an integral part of the ACCIONA Infrastructure Maintenance (AIM) Quality, Health, Safety & Environment team with a main focus on Health & Safety. In addition to having health and safety qualifications the holder of this position must exhibit comprehension of general quality assurance and environmental responsibilities.
Under the direct reporting to the AIM Contract Manager and functional reporting to the Corporate Director of Environmental, Health & Safety, the HS Supervisor will be responsible for providing support to the management team, supervisors, foremen and workers. This position will provide leadership and coordination of the day-to-day quality, health and safety and environmental requirements of the assigned area.
• Provide support to assigned service areas by maintaining a visible presence in the field.
• Assist in the coaching, mentoring and implementation of the QHSE programs in the field.
• Regularly review and be familiar with all applicable legislation and applicable standards, to ensure compliance.
• Implement and monitor the Safety Management System as required to ensure a safe work environment for all company employees, contractors, visitors and community.
• Regularly audit the SMS for compliance and update to ensure the alignment with service area scope and conditions.
• Act as the Traffic Management Supervisor.
• Organize and schedule required safety staff and first aid coverage.
• Provide direction, support and resource to all site managers, supervisors, foremen and safety advisors.
• Ensure that all incidents are reported immediately to all required parties.
• Participate and assist the supervisors, foreman in the investigation of incidents to determine root cause, and corrective actions where necessary.
• Ensure incident corrective actions are followed up on and completed.
• Ensure injured workers are offered modified duties and documentation has been completed. Monitor and follow up on modified workers in the field.
• Ensure Supervisors are verifying field staff training and competencies; consult the contract management team and Corporate Director of Environmental, Health & Safety for compliance and action plan.
• Ensure New/Young Worker Orientations are conducted in accordance with Internal and regulatory requirements.
• Prepare for, and participate in audits such as 18001 & 14001, COR and/or Owner audits.
• Communicate, coach and assist the field staff to ensure that all safety expectations are understood and met.
• Participate in leading the British Columbia Construction Safety Association (BCCSA) internal COR audit.
• Regularly audit the work sites and implement safety improvements.
• Develop and implement safety training and education initiatives for the project, including site induction/orientation programs.
• Review subcontractors and supplier’s site specific health and safety management system and training meet the local regulatory requirements.
• Provide oversight and direction on Prime Contractor responsibilities to the project management team.
• Coordinate the review of risk assessments, job safety analysis and safe systems for the project.
• Implement and maintain health and safety records for the project.
• Analyze and identify leading and lagging trends to assist in incident/injury prevention.
• Compile reports to update ongoing safety processes and address current issues.
• Provide recommendations for implementation of preventative and corrective actions and suggest safety program improvements.
• Implement and maintain the projects health and safety policy, plans, systems and procedures.
• Prepare improvement plans and corrective actions based on the findings.
• Work with and support ACCIONA Canada on meeting their corporate reporting requirements and initiatives.
• Act as the Site Safety Qualified Coordinator for the Prime Contractor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Above average analytical and organizational skills needed to complete reports and documentation.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently.
• Demonstrated capacity to work both autonomously and within a team environment.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships in a large and complex network.
• Demonstrated good leadership, supervision, and conflict resolution skills.
• Proven computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook are essential.
• Road construction/maintenance experience.
• Valid BC Driver’s license and a positive driving record.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act, WorkSafeBC regulations.
• Must be physically fit, prepared to work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Exceptional communication, listening and problem solving skills.
• Knowledge and application of and ISO 18001, 9001, 1401 systems.
• Individuals may be required to travel within Canada and elsewhere as directed.
• Knowledge of Ministry of Transport & Infrastructure (MoTI) specifications
• Occupational Health and Safety Certificate and/or Diploma.
• Construction Safety Officer (CSO) Certification.
• Holder of Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), or is working towards the designation.
• 5 years construction and road maintenance industry experience in a supervisory position.
ACCIONA is one of the foremost Spanish business corporations, leader in the development and management of infrastructure, renewable energy, water and services. Listed on the selective Ibex-35 stock exchange index, it is a benchmark for the market.